Saturday, January 11, 2014

Weekend market

After being in Thailand for two weeks and going to many different types of markets I thought the weekend market in Bangkok would be the same as the others I had been to. I couldn't have been more wrong. The weekend market in Bangkok is huge! As I walked around the market I felt like it would never end. There was shop after shop after shop, and if you didn't like the price at one shop you could go to the same shop right next door and try again.
The first shop I went into was a purse shop, which was probably not a good idea from the start since I am a girl and I already have a ton of purses, but this thought did not cross my mind, so I looked around and I found a purse I really liked. I knew it was going to be expensive but I decided to ask the lady working there anyway just to get an idea of how much it would be. She typed in a ridiculously high number into her calculator, which made me realize I needed to get more money. I proceeded to tell her I couldn't buy it because I didn't have enough money, but she insisted that I type in an amount. So I typed in 1200, which was the total amount of money I had in my purse. She of course said no but after more talking she finally said ok and accepted my offer! This seemed to happen at almost every shop. They didn't even give you a chance to say no; instead they continued to lower the price until you said ok. I left the market with a great deal of gifts, and I probably didn't even see a fourth of the market. I would love to go back and see what other good deals I can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment