Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Home Stay

When I first learned that we would be staying with a family in a small village I was a little worried. I imagined a little house in the middle of the jungle with no doors or windows, and we would be sleeping on the floor surrounded by mosquito nets. Thankfully this was not the case. Instead when we arrived at the home stay I was surprised to see nice houses with electricity and western toilets. The house I stayed at had a nice little outside eating area which overlooked the village, and the people we stayed with were so friendly. They made sure we had enough blankets for the night, since it got a little chilly, and in the morning we had a great breakfast!

We also got a chance to talk with the town leader who described the changes the village had overcome through the years, and he also told us about the different sources of income the village has. Coffee, tea, and the home stay are the main sources of income for the village. It was also surprising to hear that village was fully functioning. They got their electricity not just from the government but also from water power, and the village even has its own "common pool" where people can borrow money instead of going to the bank. I can't believe how self sustaining this village is, and I hope they continue to grow with the times. I'm so glad I got to be apart of this experience, and I hope to one day go back.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment