Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Post #1- First Impressions

After leaving the airport and getting on the bus to the first hotel in Bangkok, I was in awe, I couldn't believe we were finally in Thailand. Getting off the bus at the hotel, the first thing that I noticed was the smell. It was not a pleasant smell at all. I've been to New York City before and that's all I could think about. Just the smell of a dirty city. I was exhausted, so it felt nice to actually sleep in a bed finally. In the morning I couldn't believe breakfast was outside. It was so nice to be able to eat breakfast outside in the beginning of winter. 

Becca and I went out and explored around our hotel until we had our meeting. For being a big city it was so quite compared to big cities in America. We were stopped by a Thai man on the corner of the street, and he spoke with us and asked where we were going. We told him we were from America and had an hour to walk around. He gave us directions to the river and a park, even though we didn't have time to walk there. When we departed he wished us luck and hoped we'd love Thailand. A few minutes later a man in a  Tuk Tuk stoppd us and told us, "20 Baht and I will take you around the whole city!" It was so cute, but we had to decline. I was surprised how the taxi and tuk tuk drivers openly ask if you need a ride. In America I feel like it's such a struggle trying to get a taxi, and it's so expensive! 

After being in Chiang Mai the past few days, I've noticed how nice and helpful the people are here too. It's nothing like in big cities in the States. I was very surprised by some Thai's english. It really makes me feel ignorant that I can't speak another language. 

So, far my overall first impression is how nice the Thai people are. It's only been about a week now, and I'm already in love with Thailand. Chiang Mai and it's people are beautiful. I can't wait to explore more.

No comments:

Post a Comment