Saturday, January 4, 2014

Buddhism


Before leaving for Thailand, I often was questioned about the Buddhism religion and how it's practiced in Thailand. I was very unfamiliar with the practices of Buddhism and did not know how to answer these questions I was asked. I didn't know how my own Christian beliefs would mix with the beliefs of Buddhism. I didn't want to feel like I was abandoning or betraying my own faith.

Being in Thailand I have learned a great deal about Buddhism and it has taught me so much. I learned about how Buddhism teaches people to live peacefully and have good morals. To me, Buddhism doesn't seem like a religion, but a way of life. It has taught me about lessening the suffering in my life. It has taught me to not want things because I may not get them and that would cause suffering. This has really opened my eyes and taught me to be content with my life. I am happy with my life and grateful for what I have.

Even though Buddhism is not my religion, I can still learn from it and appreciate its teachings. I no longer feel like I'm abandoning my own faith by learning about Buddhism.





1 comment:

  1. thank you for your writing...! it has teach me about Buddhism, and its clear to me that yes! good morals and deeds are a WAY OF LIFE and not a one's a week thing.

    ReplyDelete