Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Post #3 by Katelyn


Yesterday we got to have a very unique experience staying at the Mae Kam Pong Home stay. The village is located in the beautiful mountains between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, Thailand. I thought this visit really allowed us to gain a scene of what the Thai lifestyle is like for the people living in a mountain village. What really struck me was the vast difference between their lifestyle and my own. As I was laying in bed last night I was thinking how it was almost hard to believe we live on the same planet. My life at home is so fast pasted and planned out. I also thought of how I waste so much yet am always wanting more. The simplicity of their homes, day to day lives and use if natural resources really fascinated me. After getting settled in we all went on a hike to a waterfall. As we were walking through the forest our guide would point to a plant and show how it could be used as a bug repellant or he picked up a fallen branch and said we could use this to make broom. The people of this village really use what they have around them. 
 
Later in the evening we got meet with the village leader to learn more about where we were staying. One thing that I like about how this village ran was the community focus and how they all took care of each other. When I think of home, it seems when I do something it is typically for the benefit of myself. Where as when the people of this village do something everyone benefits and it's for the good of the community. 
 
I think this experience really helped me to gain new perspective and forced me to think of my own lifestyle. When I was walking the hills of this village and looked at the people in their homes, I kept thinking to myself that the less material things you have allows you to have a bigger heart. 




No comments:

Post a Comment