Sunday, January 12, 2014

HADF

During a presentation at the Hill Area and Community Development Foundation (HADF), an Akha woman and the other a Lahu woman, I thought about the struggles of the Hmong people in the United States and the struggles of the Hill Tribe people in Thailand. The loss of cultural identity and cultural practices has been a struggle for many Hmong living in the United States a struggle similar to many of the Hill Tribe groups in Thailand as many of them assimilate to the dominant Thai culture. The words, actions, and dedication of our presenters gave me strength because I know that I can do something like this for my community. I remember hearing the Lahu presenter talk about her experiences and how education has played a huge role in her life. As the first person in my family to attend college, I know that higher education is influential and valuable. After the presentation and the visit to the Lahu village, I know that I am ready to mend and create a sense of cultural identity for my community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment